PPBA Spring 2017 Baseball
Support the Prospect Park Alliance
It is hard to miss the housing boom in our Brooklyn neighborhoods. But since space is so limited, the expansion is mostly vertical. All the more reason to treasure the Central Park of Brooklyn, Prospect Park. It contains a wealth of experiences for all ages and a breath of country air so important to balance the ebb and flow of our city. But as you must know, our city’s treasury is being pulled in many important directions so the resources for our parks are limited.
The Prospect Park Alliance has an opportunity to raise money that will be matched by a generous $50,000 grant. But the funds must be raised by Thursday, May 25th.
We try our best to limit asking you for donations. But in this instance, we are asking you to contribute any amount you can afford to ensure that the quality of life all families deserve is served by clicking on the following link:
Thank you very much,
Prospect Park Baseball Association
04.03.17: PPBA 2017 Game Makeups
If a coach wants to make up a game, for whatever reason, he or she must follow the directions detailed in the following document that is located in the Coaches Private Page of the PPBA website: http://ppba.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/PPBA-Schedule-Change-Procedure-2014.pdf
04.01.17: 2017 Spring Season Rule Update
PPBA Baseball & Softball Rules 2017 4-1-17 (NEW!)
03.21.17: Ball Cap Liners
This year and going forward all baseball pitchers age 10 and older are required to wear a head protector. All affected teams are being provided with one liner. We strongly suggest that every pitcher have their own so they can get used to them and to avoid erosion of the fabric liner for use by multiple players.
How to order a Ball Cap Liner
Ball Cap Protective Liners can be order directly from the supplier at a 10% discount. We ordered the small with temple guard for 10 year olds and younger and the large with temple guard for those 12 and older. The smalls are in stock. The large sized one are on back order which they say will not be available until mid-April. You will have check back, or, you can purchase another similar product or wear a batting helmet.
If you want to order the ball cap liner (at a 10% discount):
- Go to their website: www.ballcapliner.com
- Click on the “Buy Now” message that will popup over the pictures of Cliff Floyd wearing the liner.
- The next screen will mention a discount if you buy in quantity – IGNORE THAT – and scroll down on that page to click on the guard you want to order
- The page will either say “Out of Stock” or “Add to Cart”. If you chose “Add to Cart” simply complete the transaction as you would any other on-line purchase. However, be sure to enter the following promotion code when checking out to obtain a 10% discount: BCLPPBA10
12.08.16: IMPORTANT MESSAGES – THREE IMPORTANT SAFETY INITIATIVES BEGINNING IN THE SPRING 2017 SEASON
PITCHER PROTECTION: Last year one of our 13-year-old pitchers in the Grasshopper division was struck in the head by a batted ball while pitching. The injury was so serious that it required brain surgery. Thankfully a full recovery is expected, but the road has been slow and trying. As a result, the PPBA board has decided to make two important rules changes:
- PITCHER HEADGEAR: ALL pitchers in ALL hardball divisions from Cubs through Freshmen must wear protective headgear while pitching to a batter. The headgear must be provided by the respective organizations. The type of headgear will be subject to approval by the PPBA board but shall be no less than a batting helmet that fits securely on the pitcher’s head. Loosely fitting headgear will not be allowed unless the helmet is fitted with a chinstrap.
- REDEFINITION GRASSHOPPER DIVISION TO 15U: The age definition for the Grasshopper division has been changed to 15 and under (previously it was 14 and under). We understand that some 13 year olds may want to play with their friends on a Grasshopper team of predominantly 14 year olds. However the Board strongly recommends that players play in their age appropriate division: that 13s play in the Super Bantam division, that 14s and 15s play in the Grasshopper division, and that 16s and 17s play in the Freshmen division.
HEART PROTECTION: The city council passed a law requiring the presence of a heart defibrillator, and an adult trained to use it, at all baseball practices and games that occur on city owned fields to prevent a lethal sudden cardiac arrest caused by being struck in the chest by a pitched or batted ball. The law encompasses practices and games of all age groups. As a result every team (Pee Wee through Freshmen and Mustangs through Colts) will be receiving a defibrillator for the season and will be required to have an adult who will be present at the practices and games to be trained to use the machine. The machine must be returned at the end of the season in working order and each organization will be responsible for the cost of any lost, stolen or damaged machine (the law imposes a $2,500 charge per machine). When and where the machines will be distributed and the training will take place has yet to be determined. It will be announced on this site and communicated to all organizations.
6/17/16: 2016 Spring Tournament Championship Winners
Congratulations to all 2016 Spring Tournament Championship Winners!
Final 2016 Spring Championship Winner/Runner Up:
Cub North: 78 BASSETT (winner) / 78 WILLIAMS (runner up)
Cub East: OLG KLEIN (winner) / 78 HARDING (runnerup)
Cub Central: 78 MCKENNA(winner) / 78 OTTER(runner up)
Cub West: SFX PRAVDA(winner) / SFX KUSTAL(runner up)
Cub South: SFX YOUNGELSON(winner) / SFX SWARTZ(runner up)
Bantam East: CF BERGER(winner) / SFX JACKSON(runner up)
Bantam Central: 78 NACHSIN(winner) / SFX MAKES(runner up)
Bantam West: 78 AHLGRIM(winner) / 78 ALBIZU(runner up)
Bantam South: 78 HOROWITZ(winner) / 78 PSARRAS(runner up)
Super Bantam American League: SBBL AZAR(winner) / 78 SHIFFMAN(runner up)
Super Bantam National League: 78 deMAUSE(winner) / 78 MILLER(runner up)
Grasshopper: HOLY NAME MEEHAN(winner) / 78 DOUGHERTY(runner up)
Freshman American League: 78 MILLER(winner) / SFX PICCARD(runner up)
Freshman National League: 78 McKENZIE(winner) / 78 LIEBER(runner up)
Mustang: SFX DEVESIN(winner) / SFX CALABRESE(runner up)
Bronco: HOLY NAME MARKEY(winner) / SFX LISSAK(runner up)
Colt: BA TRELLES(winner) / SFX LENNARD(runner up)
President, Prospect Park Baseball Assocn
Umpire & Rules Issues, Complaints and Comments:
To contact us regarding umpire and rules issues, please fill out this Umpire & Rules Form and we will take appropriate action. Please consider this an opportunity to not only deal with specific issues but to make constructive suggestions.